Sunday, March 13, 2011

Wraps, Veggie Tacos, and Burritos, oh my..

Teff Flour Tortillas


Tortillas.  I vary my recipe depending on what flour I have on hand.  This time I had run out of spelt and forgotten to add it to the grocery list.  I did have Teff flour.  Dare I try it? :) You know me,  I had to.  My kids and husband loved them and wanted another batch the next day.

1 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 cup Teff Flour
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 cup Nonhydrogenated Vegetable Shortening
2/3 cup Warm Water

In a large mixing bowl stir together flours, salt, and baking powder. Add shortening and cut in with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles sand.  Pour in water and stir together with fingers to form a stiff dough.  Knead for a minute to form a smooth ball.

Divide dough into 8 pieces, roll into balls, and let rest for 10 minutes.  Dust counter with flour and roll out the dough into very thin circles with a rolling pin.

Heat cast iron griddle over medium heat while rolling out tortillas. 

Place rolled dough onto griddle and cook until bubbles start to puff up in the dough and edges look dry.  Flip and grill another 1-2 minutes.  Place cooked tortilla in a towel lined tortilla warmer.  Repeat until all tortillas are cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment