Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cool, Creamy, and Delicious

Vegan Cherry Cream Cheese Pie

My husband has been craving the Cherry Cream Cheese Pie he remembers from the summers before we went vegan. Our kids are less picky just wanted something sweet and cool. Today, I realized I was up to the task with a little help from Mama Pea with a vegan version of sweetened condensed milk. It looks like the old pie, it smells like the old pie, and yes, it tastes like the old pie. You can't see it, but I am definitely doing a victory dance here. As always, my non-dairy milk of choice for the sweetened condensed is So Delicious Coconut Milk. You are lucky I was able to get a camera shot of this it is disappearing fast.

Next time, I might try adding another 4 oz of Cream Cheese substitute or using full fat canned coconut milk instead of So Delicious for the non dairy sweetened condensed milk to try for a thicker consistency, but the taste was awesome, as is.  Seriously, you should try it right now.

Vegan Cherry Cream Cheese Pie

1 pkg. Extra Firm Silken Tofu (well-drained)
1 c. Vegan Cream Cheese (highly recommend Gentle Chef's cashew cream cheese recipe)
1 can Nature's Charm Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk
1/2 c. Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust (9 oz)
1 can Low Sugar Cherry Pie Filling

Combine first 5 ingredients in food processor and pulse until smooth. Pour into crust. Chill for 3 hours. Top with pie filling. Chill until set.

3 comments:

  1. That looks sensational! I have a sweet treat linky party on my blog every Friday afternoon (3pm) till Monday and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your pie up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good. I am always hesitant to try things with canned cherry, I wonder if it would work with fresh berries? By the way, I found your blog via the Sweets for a Saturday link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lisa and aberginelove. I think it would be wonderful with fresh berries.

    ReplyDelete