Friday, January 21, 2011

I always loved a good casserole.

I have to admit I have missed casseroles, especially the cheesy Mexican casseroles.  I have found a solution to this craving and it is good.  The sauce takes a little longer than your standard dump from a soup can type casserole, but in my opinion it is totally worth it if you have leftover textured vegetable protein (TVP) and beans already made.  For a soy free version use two types of beans or beans and seitan, instead of the TVP.

Vegan Nacho Casserole

2 cups Vegan Mushroom Broth
1&1/2 cups Water (For Queso only add 1/2 cup of water or it will be too soupy)
1 cup So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 Tbsp Earth Balance Margarine (soy free if you are allergic to soy or just double the Olive Oil)
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup Flour
1 cup Red Star Nutritional Yeast
1 14 oz Can Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
optional 3 Tbsp Diced Onion

In a 9x13 inch casserole dish layer Corn Chips, Taco Seasoned TVP, and Beans, then another layer of chips, tvp, and beans.  Finish with a final layer of chips.  Set aside to make sauce.

In a large spouted bowl or very large liquid measuring cup combine mushroom broth, water, coconut milk, and soy sauce.  In a small bowl have your oregano, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper measured and waiting.  Have the flour and nutritional yeast measured and separate from everything.

In a large sauce pan over medium heat melt margarine into the olive oil and then add flour.  Stir continuously to remove lumps.  Let the mixture bubble until it seems to thicken then add liquids and seasonings.  Continue to stir for 10 minutes or until the sauce has the viscosity of a Thanksgiving gravy.  Add nutritional yeast and stir for another 5 minutes.  The mixture should be more like a thick gravy at this point add your Ro-Tel and onions.  Pour sauce over casserole and bake at 375 F for 20-30 minutes or until heated through and bubbling not dried out.

I serve mine in bowls with salad on top.  We really like the cool crunch of the salad with the warm moist texture of the casserole.  Feel free to have the salad on the side or add guacamole if that's how you roll.  Mmm Guacamole, I think I might try that myself next time.

I didn't mention it before but it is good with pinto bean, black beans, probably even garbanzo beans.  Whatever leftover beans or canned beans should be fine as long as you drain off the excess liquid before you add them in.  You can also use the sauce with or without the Ro-tel for nachos that my kids insist are excellent.

2 comments:

  1. Vegan nachos? I'm in heaven! Made with So Delicious coconut milk? Even better! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I hope you enjoyed the nachos. My family and I really love the sauce. I was just talking to my husband about adding a layer of Nacho Sauce to our layered Burritos tomorrow and he was very excited about the idea.

    ReplyDelete