Friday, January 14, 2011

Posole on a cold night.

Posole about forty five minutes before done.  When it is ready you mostly just see the hominy on top.
I like to think this is the perfect way to warm up on a winter night. 

I love spicy food, so Mexican stew is right up my alley.  Making this one vegan, simple.  I eliminate the pork and the chicken broth from the traditional recipes, then add mushrooms.  Easy right?  My family, however does not love spicy, in fact they actively avoid spicy foods.  The solution?  I made a very lightly spiced stew and added Cholula Hot Sauce and extra chiles to my bowl.  Everyone happy with one pot of soup and batch of cornbread, priceless.

Posole
 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 Celery Stalks, chopped
4 cloves of Garlic, minced
6 oz. Portobella  Mushrooms, sliced into chunks
8 oz. White Button Mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp. Chili Powder (Add 1 tsp if you like yours spicy)
1/2 tsp. Cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
6 Cups Water
2 cubes of Vegetarian Bouillon
16 oz. can Stewed Tomatoes
14 oz. can Ro-tel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
2 Tablespoons Chopped Green Chiles (Choose Jalepenos if you like spicy food, Poblano if you don't)
2 lbs. Bag Frozen Posole  (I used Bueno Posole Uncooked Hominy, Nixtamal)

Pour Oil into medium Stewpot over medium heat.  After pan and oil are heated add chopped onions and saute for 3 minutes.  Add celery and garlic, saute for 4 minutes then add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.  Add seasonings, and remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil and then simmer over medium heat for 2 hours stirring occasionally.  Serve with cornbread.

You can add a salad or cooked greens to go with this soup for a complete meal.  Spicy or mild this is an excellent soup. My son asked for seconds, and he was very excited to have leftovers the next day for lunch.  My daughter ate hers more reluctantly, but did finish her bowl both meals. The recipe made enough for me to put 4 servings in the freezer after the four of us ate it for two meals.  I am planning to try to cook off the remaining liquid and use the rest as a tamale filling, but that is an experiment for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment