Thursday, February 17, 2011

Countdown to VegBoy's 9th Birthday!!

He is wanting a new and different cake.  I will be posting at least two possibly three cake recipes in the next week.  Anyone feeling the need to try them with us and give feedback will be appreciated.  I will have to make enough on party day to feed about 20-30 adults and kids.  Most of these guests will be non-vegans forced or encouraged to eat vegan at the party.  I am disallowing them from bringing non-vegan food as I feel it would be cruel to make him watch them eat things that he can't have on his birthday.  For those who are thinking I should give him a break and let him have whatever he wants on his special day, he has seizures that are much more severe and frequent when he is exposed to even tiny amounts of animal proteins.  For whatever reason, his body can't process them at all. 

VegBoy has requested my vegan nacho casserole for his birthday meal, I will use homemade seitan instead of the TVP since my younger sister is allergic to soy.  I will have guacamole and salad, to go with the casserole.

So if my non-vegan friends and family want to try these recipes and let me know which ones are most successful I will appreciate your feedback. :)  For those who are interested, I have found this blend of flours give a depth of flavor to the vegan recipe and are more effective in satisfying the taste buds of non-vegans or those transitioning to vegan diets.  If you are in the mood try your own flour blend, you could substitute wheat for the spelt if you like.

My usual cake recipe for reference is modified from a Depression Era cake

1 1/2 cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
5/8 cup Cocoa Powder (Fair Trade, USDA Organic)
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 cups Demerara Sugar
1 cup Warm Coffee
1 cup So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2/3 cup Canola or Extra Light Olive Oil

Grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan.  Preheat oven to 350. Sift flour blend, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda into a bowl; set aside.  In a separate bowl combine warm coffee with sugar, coconut milk, vinegar, vanilla, and oil.  Stir until sugar begins to dissolve then add liquid ingredients into dry.  Stir with a spoon until all ingredients are combined.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely and frost with favorite frosting or dust with vegan powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment