Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I needed a good bread, fast..





Vegan Garlic Biscuits








to go with my salad for lunch.  So I decided to get a little creative with my biscuit recipe.  We all like the biscuits so I decided to post the recipe before I forget the precise measurements of the ingredients I used.  Yes, I measured instead of randomly sprinkling ingredients until it looks and smells right.

Biscuits     Makes 12 biscuits
1 cup Spelt Flour
1 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
2 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/8 tsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1/3 cup Vegan Shortening
3/4 cup So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Prepare cookie sheet with a thin coating of oil.  Stir together dry ingredients add shortening.  Use pastry blender or fork to cut shortening into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in coconut milk until dough forms.  Knead for a minute to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.  Flatten dough on counter fold into thirds.  Repeat.  Roll out dough and cut with biscuit cutter.  Place biscuits on cookie sheet.  Bake 13 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment