Thursday, February 3, 2011

Valentine's Day came early..

Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts
For my kids this year. They have really been missing doughnuts. I hate frying anything. Last time I deep fried something was ten years ago. I wanted to try an onion blossom. I was wearing shorts and sandals as I carefully dropped the onion into the bubbling oil. Yes, I can hear you laughing now. I can even laugh a little now myself. At the time however, I was less than amused. I was quite certain I would never fry again.

Two kids and ten years later, I finally decided to give frying one more try.  I think it turned out pretty well.  No one was burned in the making of these doughnuts and the taste was excellent.  This might not be the healthiest snack, but as a rare treat they aren't too bad.

Modified again by VegMama, Modified by Pastrybrush, Original Source: Cuisine at Home, October 2008 Issue, page 31
Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts
1/4 cup Applesauce
1 tbsp Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
1 cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
1/2 cup Demerara Sugar
1/2 cup So Delicious Coconut Milk
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Coconut Sugar
3 tbsp Earth Balance Margarine, melted
4 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (1 & 1/4 tsp Cinnamon, 1/2 tsp Nutmeg, 1/4 tsp All Spice)
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 & 1/2 cups sifted All-Purpose Flour
1 & 1/2 cups sifted Spelt Flour
1/2 cup sifted Coconut Flour
Vegetable oil, enough to fry in

Whisk apple sauce and tofutti sour cream together in a large bowl until frothy.  Add pumpkin, sugar, coconut milk, apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, and margarine; whisk until combined.  Stir in baking powder, pie spice, salt, and baking soda.  Fold flour in gradually until a stick dough forms, you might need to add a little more to get the right consistency; cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, heat 2″ oil to 370°F in an electric skillet, deep fryer, or straight-sided pan over medium heat.
Pat out dough on a well floured surface to 1/2 inch thick, then cut with a 3″ and 1″ biscuit cutters dipped in flour.  Transfer doughnuts and holes to a floured baking sheet using a spatula that has been dusted in flour.  Fry doughnuts and holes in batches in the oil until browned, about 2 minutes, turning once (holes cook faster).  Drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet.  Finish with sugar or glaze

Apple Cider Glaze

1/4 cup Spiced Apple Cider
Pinch of Salt
1 cup Powdered Sugar
heat cider and salt in small saucepan over low until hot.  Off heat, whisk in powdered sugar until smooth.  Dip cooled doughnuts in glaze and let stand about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment