Thursday, February 10, 2011

Vegan Pizza, anyone?

Vegan Pizza with Tofurky Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, Onions, and Black Olives
I am sorry I haven't posted before this, but I have have created what may well be the Holy Grail of Vegan food.  Yes, a creamy, cheesy sauce equally delicious over pasta or pizza.  I was originally trying to veganize the Bow-Tie Festival sauce from Carrino's and I have to admit this sauce comes close enough that you might feel guilty eating it if you didn't know it was vegan.  I tried it with pasta and mushrooms and loved it.  I was intrigued.  Would this sauce work over pizza?  Could it possibly maintain it's flavor in the oven at 425 degrees? The answer? Yes, yes it can. So I ask you to trust me and try it.  Just once with pasta, mushrooms, and veggies or over your favorite pizza crust for vegan pizza.  You may just find the taste you have been missing.  I know I have.

Sauce

2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Slices Lightlife Smart Bacon, chopped into small pieces
1 Tbsp Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 & 1/2 Tbsp Red Star Nutritional Yeast
3/4 Cup Vegan Mushroom Broth
1 Cup So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
1/8 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Heat olive oil in large skillet over low medium heat.  Add garlic and bacon, sauté until bacon begins to crisp.  Transfer bacon and garlic to a bowl.  Add flour and nutritional yeast into skillet stir until smooth, then slowly add mushroom broth.  Stir until smooth and mushroom broth has reduced by half, add coconut milk and seasonings.  Continue to stir over medium heat, add bacon and garlic back into the skillet.   Let sauce reduce by half if using for pizza.

Or add pasta, mushrooms, and your favorite veggies and let the pasta absorb the excess liquid if using for pasta sauce.

For our pizzas I added Tofurky Italian Sausage sliced thin, black olives, onions, and mushrooms on top of my homemade marinara sauce.  I put cheese sauce on the crust, spread marinara over that, added toppings then finished by drizzling more cheese sauce over the top.  Bake according to directions for your crust or adapt this crust to your liking.



No comments:

Post a Comment